Basic Guidelines for Safe Use
- Store in Amber bottles
- Capped tightly
- Keep in cool location, out of light
- Keep out of reach of children
- Keep vegetable oil on hand for dilution (V-6 Oil complex, other veggie oils)
- Oils rich in menthol (Peppermint) are not suggested to be used on neck or throat area of children less than 18 months
- Citrus oils, Bergamot are photosensitive. Stay out of sun, 1-2 days after application or cover usage area
- Keep essential oils away from eyes and ears. Do not touch eyes, glasses, or contact lenses
- People exhibiting chronic, pre-existing health concerns (epilepsy, hypertension, i.e.) should consult physician before use. Particular caution with high ketone oils such as: Basil, Rosemary, Sage, and Tansy Oils
- Pregnant women or people exhibiting allergies should consult their physical prior to use. Dilution of oils with a vegetable-based oil suggested. Skin patch test on the underside of the arm for 30 minutes warranted. Use common sense
- Topically apply oils to bottoms of feet or use in bath water, no more than 10 drops
- Direct inhalation of oils, up to 10-15 times a daily
- Inhalation of oil not recommended for asthmatics
- Before internal ingestion, try dilution in Blue Agave, Yacon Syrups, rice milk, or olive or coconut oils
- Reactions to essential oils, topically or by ingestion, may be delayed 2-3 days after use
*Chemical Sensitivities & Allergies: Those with extra-sensitive skin, who begin using ultra-pure essential oils, will experience rashes or reactions. This may occur with an undiluted spice, conifer, or the citrus oils. An oil may react with petroleum-based residues which remain in fatty tissue from personal care products that have leached into the skin.
Before beginning with oils, try a skin test. Spot test on an area such as the inside of the forearm at the elbow. Apply on oil or blend at one time. if layering a new oil, allow 3-5 minutes to assess for a reaction, before testing a different oil. If you express a sensitivity, then follow the dilution protocol.
- Dilute 1-3 drops of essential oils in 1/2 teaspoon of Young Living’s V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex, massage oil, or any pure veritable oil such as almond, coconut, avocado, or oil. More dilution may be required.
- Reduce the number of oils used at any time.
- Use single oils or oil blends one at a time.
- Reduce the amount of oil used.
- Reduce the frequency of application.
- Drink more purified or distilled water.
- Utilize natural household cleaning solutions to reduce daily chemical exposures.
Asthmatic Caution: When using essential oils for breathing practices, please apply your oils as far away from the lungs as possible. Use caution with Lavender.
DISCLAIMER (required by US Federal Law): Any information shared or presented is NOT meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, and is intended for educational purposes only. Nor are the products which are discussed and / or presented in them meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease; they have NOT been evaluated by the FDA. Please seek advice from a health care professional knowledgeable in your area of concern.